Dermal fillers, also known as soft tissue fillers, are injected below the surface of the skin. These fillers use hyaluronic acid (found in fluid and tissues of the body) and other substances to give an effect of fullness and make the skin look plumper and hydrated, while also adding more volume to the parts of the facial skin, such as the cheeks, chin, lips, and the smile lines that seem to be withering. Each of the contents of the dermal filler injections are designed to treat different symptoms ranging from the signs of aging to other cosmetic troubles.
Hyaluronic Acid, also known as Hyaluronan or Hyaluronate, is a hydrophilic (waterloving) carbohydrate found naturally throughout the human body. As Hyaluronic Acid seeks out and binds to water, it becomes a viscous, Jell-O like substance that serves as the body’s natural lubricant and provider of cushioning and elasticity. Wrinkles are often found to be a result of the loss of collagen and loss of elasticity in the skin and is a sign of ageing skin. Hyaluronic acid restores the lost skin volume, adding to the natural plumper look of the skin by replenishing the body’s natural production of the acid which is essential in diminishing signs of ageing.
1. Evaluation of your facial appearance and skin tone.
2. Examination of the areas of your face to be augmented.
3. Strategic points on your face may be marked as the appropriate injection sites for the filler.
4. Photographs may be taken of the areas to be treated.
5. The injection sites will be cleansed with an antibacterial agent.
6. Pain at the injection site may be ameliorated by use of a very cold instrument to chill the skin, anesthetic ointment to numb the skin or injection of local anesthesia.
7. Injection usually takes only a few moments per site. The process of injecting, massaging, and evaluating the result is performed, and additional filler added as needed.
8. Once the results are deemed satisfactory, any markings will be cleansed off.
• Enhances shallow areas on the cheeks, making them look fuller.
• Decreases the hollowness under the eyes and hence decreases the tired look
• Decreases the hollowness of the temples and the forehead
• Softens the laughing lines which are a sign of ageing.
• Gives thinning lips a plumper effect
• Augments the small chin and contours the jaw and defines to the jawline
• Softens static wrinkles include those seen around the forehead and the neck.
• Gives recessed scars a softer look
• Depending on the number of areas to be treated, the whole process may be as short as 15 minutes, or as long as an hour.
• The results of the treatment last typically from a period of 12 months to two years, depending on where the substance is injected.
• Though the treatment may come with a few side-effects such as, skin redness, and bruising, dermal fillers are a minimally invasive and safe technique.
• You can use an ice pack to reduce swelling and alleviate discomfort.
• The area injected may feel a bit tender for a day or two, it is usually not painful enough to require any medication.